Almond oil is wonderful for your skin. It helps plump and firm the skin, thus reducing the appearance of wrinkles. It is also a gentle exfoliator, so it helps remove dry, dead skin cells and reveal the smooth, glowing skin underneath. While you can always apply it on its own to your skin, you can make it even more effective by combining it with other ingredients, such as essential oil.
Method One of Three:
Applying Almond Oil to Your FaceEdit
1Start with a clean face. If you have not yet done so, wash your face using your usual facial cleanser, then pat it dry with a soft, clean towel. You should never apply oil (or any type of moisturizer) to a dirty face. If you apply oil to a dirty face, you'll trap the dirt; this could lead to blackheads and breakouts.
2Place a few drops of almond oil onto your palm. A little bit goes a long way, so you only need 2 to 4 drops. You can always apply more oil later, if necessary.
3Rub your palms together to warm the oil up. This will help make it easier to absorb into your skin. It will also reduce the chances of you applying too much.
4Gently pat your hands against your face and neck. Avoid rubbing the oil in. If you only want to use the oil to spot-treat a dry patch, pick the oil up from your palm with your ring finger, then gently pat your finger against your skin. This is especially important if you are treating the delicate skin under your eyes.
5Wipe off any excess oil, if necessary. If you have very dry skin, you could leave some of the excess oil on your skin. If your face feels too greasy, however, use a cotton pad to gently wipe off any residual oil.Advertisement
Method Two of Three:
Using Almond Oil for CleansingEdit
1Mix together some almond oil and castor oil. You will need 1 teaspoon castor oil and 2 teaspoons almond oil. Mix the oils in a small, glass jar or bottle.
- If you don't have any castor oil, use hazelnut oil instead.
- You can use other amounts, as long as you stick to these proportions: ⅓ castor oil and ⅔ almond oil.
2Massage the oil onto your face. Pour a small amount of the oil onto your hand, then massage it onto your face, taking care to avoid your eyes. You do not need to wash or dampen your face first. This technique is known as "oil cleansing," and you can use it to remove dirt and makeup.
- You have made enough oil to last a few treatments. You do not need to use all of it.
- You typically don't want to apply oil to a dirty face, but this is the once exception; you will be wiping this oil off later on.
3Consider leaving the oil on as a mask. You don't have to do this, but it certainly would not hurt to do so. If you have very dry skin, or simply want to treat yourself, this would be an excellent idea.
4Place a damp, clean, washcloth over your face. Soak a clean wash cloth in hot water. Wring out the excess moisture, then drape the cloth over your face. Leave it there for a few minutes or until it cools. This will help open up your pores and make the oil more effective.
5Wipe the oil away. Use the damp washcloth that you draped over your face to do this. Do not scrub your skin, however. If your face still feels oily, you can repeat the damp washcloth treatment two to three more times.
- If you have very dry skin, consider leaving a thin film of oil on your face.
- If your face still feels dry afterwards, you can apply some moisturizer to it.
6Cleanse your face with oil as often as needed. It is best to do this in the evening, just before you go to bed. This will give your skin time to soak up the beneficial oils. You can do this daily, but if you have normal or oily skin, it's best if you do it once a week.
- You likely won't see results overnight; give the oil cleansing method a few tries before deciding whether or not it is right for you.
- If you have any oil left over, you can use it as a body massage oil. You can also discard it or pour it into a small, glass bottle for later.
Method Three of Three:
Using Almond Oil in Homemade CosmeticsEdit
1Create a facial oil. Pour 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) of almond oil into a dark-colored glass bottle. Add 1 to 2 drops of one of the essential oils listed below based on your need. Close the bottle, then shake it to mix the oil blend. Apply a few drops of the blend to a freshly-washed face, then store the bottle in a cool, dry, dark place.
- Aging skin: chamomile, clary sage, frankincense, geranium, helichrysum, myrrh, palmarosa, rose, or sandalwood
- Dry skin: chamomile, geranium, helichrysum, lavender, myrrh, palmarosa, rose, or sandalwood
- Sensitive: chamomile, lavender, geranium, or palmarosa
2Make an anti-wrinkle oil. Combine the ingredients listed below in a glass jar, preferably a dark one. Apply a few drops of the oil to your face every night after you have finished washing it. Store the bottle in a cool, dry, dark place.
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) sweet almond oil
- 4 drops of carrot seed essential oil
- 4 drops of sandalwood essential oil
- 4 drops of rose or lavender essential oil
3Mix together a firming and anti-aging serum. Pour the ingredients listed below into a 2-ounce (60-milliliter) glass bottle, preferably a dark one. Close the bottle, then shake it to mix everything together. Apply a few drops to your face in the morning and/or evening.
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) rosehip seed oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) sweet almond oil
- 10 drops cypress essential oil
- 10 drops geranium essential oil
- 7 drops frankincense essential Oil
4Whip up an anti-aging face cream. Place the ingredients listed below into a glass jar. Set the jar into a pot filled with 3 to 4 inches (7.62 to 10.16 centimeters) of boiling water. Let the ingredients melt, then stir them together. Pour the mixture into a 4-ounce (120-milliliter) glass jar. Let it sit at room temperature until it hardens, then put the lid on. Apply the cream to your face after washing it every morning and/or evening. Store the jar in a cool, dry place.
- ¼ cup (60 milliliters) almond oil
- 2 tablespoons (26 grams) coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) beeswax
- ½ teaspoon vitamin E oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) shea butter
5Create a rosehip and almond body oil. Combine all of the ingredients in a glass bottle--a dark-colored one would be the best. Massage a few drops of the oil onto your body in the evening before going to bed. Store the bottle in a cool, dry, dark place for up to three months.
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) rosehip oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) almond oil
- 6 drops frankincense essential oil
- 6 drops rose essential oil
- 4 drops geranium essential oil
- 2 drops myrrh essential oil
You're helping people by reading wikiHow
wikiHow's mission is to help people learn, and we really hope this article helped you. Now you are helping others, just by visiting wikiHow.
World Possible is a nonprofit organization focused on connecting offline learners to the world's knowledge. They work to ensure that anyone can access the best educational resources from the web anytime, anywhere, even if they do not have an internet connection.
Click below to let us know you read this article, and wikiHow will donate to World Possible on your behalf. Thanks for helping us achieve our mission of helping people learn how to do anything.
How do I use almond oil for black areas around my eyes?Answered by wikiHow Contributor
- Apply sweet almond oil on the black areas around your eyes gently using a cotton ball. Leave it on overnight so your skin can fully absorb it. You'll see great results in about 2 weeks if it's done daily.
Does sweet almond oil have the same effects as plain almond oil?Answered by wikiHow Contributor
- Sweet almond oil and regular almond oil are essentially the same thing. Bitter almond oil, however, is an essential oil and typically comes in a much smaller bottle. It is fragrant, and not the same thing as (sweet) almond oil.
Can I use almond oil in my face with pimples?
Can I use a vitamin E capsule daily for my face?
I have been using almond oil on my face. It has taken all color out of my face and my makeup will not stay on! What do I do?
Can almond oil be used to remove ear wax?
How to I clear the spots on my face?
- Almond oil is one of the least greasy oils. It will soak into your skin quickly and leave only a slight residue, so small dabs are enough to cover the whole face. If your face feels as if it is swimming in oil, you have used too much.
- If you have sensitive skin, or if you are using the oil for the first time, it test the oil on your inner elbow, and wait 24 hours to see if any allergic reaction occurs.
- Almond oil by itself has a shelf life of 1 year.
- Massage almond oil onto your body 30 minutes before taking a shower.
- Always use clean, sterile containers for homemade cosmetics.
- It is best to store oil and oil blends in dark-colored, glass bottles. Avoid plastic ones, especially if you are adding essential oils, as this can cause the plastic to degrade over time.
- You may need to repeat certain treatments over the course of several days or weeks before seeing any results.
- Never apply almond oil, or any type of moisturizer, onto a dirty face. If you do, you will simply lock and seal that dirt in. Wash your face first, then apply the oil or moisturizer.
- Avoid using almond oil if you have any nut allergies.
- Almond oil may not work as well as professional skin care products.
Things You'll NeedEdit
About This Article
Reader Success Stories
SK"It helps with hair protection."