Red Rover is a fun call-and-response game where teams form chains and try to run through the opponent's chain. You don't need any equipment or a special field to play on, you can start a game of Red Rover just about anywhere. Red Rover is a great game that uses strategy, builds teamwork skills, and can give you a bit of exercise too. So get some friends together and play!
Part One of Two:
1Find at least six people to play. Red rover is a team game, so you will need at least three people on each team to play. The more people you can get to join your game of Red Rover, the more fun you will have.
- Since you want a lot of players, Red Rover is an ideal game to play at recess in school when you know lots of potential players will be there to join.
- If you want to set up a game outside of school, plan it a day or two in advance so you have more time to get players to join.
2Pick a captain for each team. The team captains can then flip a coin to determine who gets the first pick. The captain that doesn't win the coin toss can take the first turn in the game.
3Divide the players into two equal teams. The captains can take turns picking players until everyone has a team.
4Have each team stand in a straight line, holding hands. The teams will face each other, standing between six and ten yards apart. The further apart the teams are, the more distance players have to pick up speed before they reach the other team's line. It's a good idea to keep the distance between teams smaller for younger children to lower the chance of injuries.
- Use strategy when creating your line. Have stronger players join hands with weaker players to make sure your line holds.
Part Two of Two:
1Call a player over. The team that goes first decides who to "call over" from the other team. Once the team has decided, they sing, "Red Rover, Red Rover, will (name) come over!"
- When choosing who to call you will want to use some strategy. Don't call the biggest, strongest person who is likely to get through the line first. Pick the player who you think you can stop.
2The player who was called runs across the space between teams and tries to break through the arms of two players. The runner should use some strategy when taking their turn. Find the weak link and go for it. Avoid going at the strongest players unless you feel confident you can break the link.
3If the player doesn't get through the line, they join the opposing team. However, if they break through, they go back to their own team. They can take one of the players whose arms the broke through with them.
- Some people play where only the runner goes back to the original team, without taking additional players.
- You can also play where the runner selects anyone from the opposing team once the break through the line. If so, break through the weakest spot and take the strongest player.
4Continue playing until one team is down to one person. When one team is no longer able to make a chain, the other team wins.  If your friends have time and are up for it, you can pick some new teams and start playing all over again.Advertisement
You're helping people by reading wikiHow
wikiHow's mission is to help people learn, and we really hope this article helped you. Now you are helping others, just by visiting wikiHow.
World Possible is a nonprofit organization focused on connecting offline learners to the world's knowledge. They work to ensure that anyone can access the best educational resources from the web anytime, anywhere, even if they do not have an internet connection.
Click below to let us know you read this article, and wikiHow will donate to World Possible on your behalf. Thanks for helping us achieve our mission of helping people learn how to do anything.
Is Red Rover a more dangerous game for adults to play than it is for children?Answered by wikiHow Contributor
- It depends. Some adults may be weak or old; other adults may be bursting with energy. Always ask them if they want to play or not. Be aware that sometimes, things go wrong, and people may get hurt. Red Rover may not be the best game for weaker adults, but it still is possible for adults to play.
Can kids play, and is it true someone could break their arm doing this?Answered by wikiHow Contributor
- Kids can play this (and have been playing it for over 100 years). The truth is, someone could break an arm doing just about any physical activity, but as long as no one gets too rough, the game is perfectly safe. Establish ground rules ahead of time if you want, and end the game if anybody breaks the rules or someone gets hurt.
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
About This Article
Reader Success Stories
CR"This is a game I remember from my childhood, but I had forgotten some of the details. I was trying to explain it to my husband, who had not ever heard of it, so this article was very helpful."..." more
A"Tonight I am having to set up games for my sister's graduation party. I forgot how to play this and it helped! Thanks. "..." more
CR"Good reference from childhood."
RF"It was so helpful! Thank you!"