Whether you're sitting somewhere you don't wish to be (e.g. class, dental office, court, etc.), or you just can't wait for something, use this guide to pass the time until class ends, your appointment arrives, or you become busy doing something else. Get started with Step 1 below to find loads of ideas on how to pass time in no time!
Method One of Four:
1Dance around! Have a dance party just for yourself. If you're in a place where you can't dance, choreograph a dance inside your head to your favorite song.
2Take a nap. It may sound pretty boring, but your dreams can be interesting and sleeping makes time pass very quickly. You'll also feel more refreshed and ready to go!
3Reorganize your movie shelf. Reorganize your movies by genre, title, or even spine color. If you don't have your movies nearby, just rank your favorite movies in your head. Or read books.
4Write a song. Write a song about your favorite activity. If you can't come up with a melody, set it to the tune of your favorite song!
5Weird out people nearby. Try making strangers feel awkward by doing weird things, like rolling on the ground or running after you ask them a question.
6Make up your own language. Make up and start speaking your own language. Try to convince other people that it's a real language. You might need to write down some of the basic rules of your language in order to remember them. Try to pretend you don't know the language they are speaking.
7Clean organize or DIY your room. It may sound boring, but once you're on a roll, it can really pass the time.Advertisement
Method Two of Four:
Using Your ImaginationEdit
1Imagine conversations. Plug your ears, and make up random things that people are saying around you. You can be silly and random or try to make up a TV-like drama about what's going on in their lives. Use their body language cues and expressions to inspire your store.
2Imagine that you're a spy. Think of the room you are in right now and then pretend that you're a spy that's just been spotted. Hurry! Think of a dozen ways to escape the room and avoid the baddies following you!
3Put yourself in someone else's head. Think about what other people in the room are thinking. You can make it random or try to be realistic. If you want, you can even make it a story, like you're a psychic mutant and you have to find an evil spy.
4Assign superpowers. Decide what super powers everyone in the room would have. Try to be creative but keep the powers useful. Then, decide what their superhero names would be.
5Imagine your passed loved ones. Have an imaginary conversation with someone you love that has passed on. What would they say about where you are in life now? What would they say about what the afterlife is like?
6Imagine a whole new world. Imagine the world as it is now but with some vastly different change. For example, what would your life be like if you lived in a world where vampires ruled the different countries? What about if whales could talk?Advertisement
Method Three of Four:
1Play a game. You can play a game with yourself or with other people. There are lots of games that you can play online for free, or you can use pen and paper to play games too.
- You can play tic-tac-toe.
- If you want to kill time and you have a computer, try playing the famous Battle Toads game.
2Start a new TV show. Watch a TV show you've never seen before and never really thought about watching. You can watch lots of TV shows for free using services like Hulu.
3Play a prank. Play a prank on someone. It's better to do this to someone you know, since you never know when strangers might be violent. You can:
- Change the language setting on your friend's cell phone.
- Spread a layer of cream cheese or melted white chocolate at the top of your roommate's deodorant.
4Draw a comic. Draw a comic about your life. You don't need to have skills; one of the more successful comic strips uses only stick figures!
5Read a book. Reading is fun! It's educational and passes time quickly! Start a book that you think you won't like, you could find yourself wanting more! Books can take you on a whole new world. You could also read books that you think are interesting, not a book you don't want to read.Advertisement
Method Four of Four:
1Use the internet! You can browse wikiHow to find the craziest articles you can or even find a subject you're an expert in and add to the article! There are other great boredom killer sites too, like Wikipedia, Boing Boing, and Reddit.
2Exercise. Stretch, do some squats, go for a quick jog, do some jumping jacks....it doesn't have to be intense but just a bit of exercise can make you feel way better and pass the time.
3Make a friend. Try to make friends with the person closest to you, even if they seem like the kind of person you'd never normally be friends with. You never know, you two might get along better than you'd think!
4Dream the dream. Make your top ten list for what you want to do with your life. Try to be creative. Have a few crazy dreams and a few realistic options that would also make you happy.Advertisement
You're helping people by reading wikiHow
wikiHow's mission is to help people learn, and we really hope this article helped you. Now you are helping others, just by visiting wikiHow.
World Possible is a nonprofit organization focused on connecting offline learners to the world's knowledge. They work to ensure that anyone can access the best educational resources from the web anytime, anywhere, even if they do not have an internet connection.
Click below to let us know you read this article, and wikiHow will donate to World Possible on your behalf. Thanks for helping us achieve our mission of helping people learn how to do anything.
- If you're doing this in school, make sure your teacher doesn't know you're not paying attention.
- If you're wearing a watch, cover it with masking tape so you won't see the time; the more you look at the time the slower it feels.
- If you are home and you want time to pass quickly, open the Internet and learn something new such as dance, study tricks etc. or you can also go outdoor and do cycling. Or else you can be creative and try to make or decorate something! You can also paint or write down a story with your own imagination and characters.
- Don't look at your watch.
- If you can't draw a comic, or you feel discouraged with drawing in any way, try writing! You could even make up a new story about your life and try to live it. Try to reach out to your imaginative side!
- Make sure to snap out of your daydreams before you go to your meeting/appointment.
- When you are trying to pass a lot of time, it is best to not look at your watch or at a clock because time will go by so much slower.
- Make sure you are awake for that special meeting you can't miss.
- If you have a phone or and electronic try to play some games to pass the time,or you could surf the Internet,check your social media.
- Try drawing!
- You can always invite a friend over as long as you have parent/guardian permission first! Or you can even play with your pets or siblings!
- Find collections of "did you know?" facts on the internet. You might learn something new!
- Think about your past.
- Listen to music
- Surf wikiHow and learn new things.
- Go on Netflix and watch a lot of episodes of your favorite show! You won't realize how fast time will go by!
- Search for drawing tutorials and learn to draw something new!
- Don't think about what you are waiting for.
- Watch YouTube.
- Video games work the best for most people. Not looking at the time while playing is recommended.