Tiramisu is an Italian dessert typically made from ladyfinger pastries, espresso coffee, and mascarpone cheese. The name "Tiramisu" means "pick-me-up," and this recipe certainly will. You'll make your guests' mouths water in no time! Pick up some ladyfingers and mascarpone cheese the next time you're at the store.
- 3 large eggs
- 500 grams (~12.3 oz.) Mascarpone cheese
- Espresso or Strong Coffee
- Boudoir biscuits/ Lady fingers/ thin cakes
- (optional) 1 cup of cognac
- Powdered cocoa [or instant chocolate drink mix]
- Sugar (to taste)
- Almond liqueur (optional)
1Separate the whites from the yolks of 3 large eggs into two different bowls. Use a large bowl for the egg white and a smaller bowl for the yolk. Make sure that none of the yolk gets mixed with the egg white; otherwise the egg whites won't whisk properly.
2Whisk the egg yolks with an electronic whisk. Gradually add sugar until the egg yolk becomes thick, creamy, and light yellow.
3Put about 500 grams (~12.3 oz.) of Mascarpone Cheese into another bowl. Give it a quick stir to loosen it up. Then, with the electronic whisk, mix the egg yolks and Mascarpone together.
4Wash and dry your whisk and then whisk the egg whites until they form firm peaks. Continue to fold the egg whites into the Mascarpone and mix until there are no lumps.
5Put that to the side. Make some strong espresso and let it cool. Add almond liqueur if using.
6Line a large and fairly deep dish with lady fingers (boudoir biscuits). Pour over two thirds of the coffee mixture.
7Put half of your egg mixture over the top of that, followed by a thick dusting of cocoa powder. Use an instant drinking chocolate, if preferred, as it's a little sweeter.
8Dip more lady fingers into the rest of your coffee mix (don't worry if you run out; you can just knock up some more). Carefully place them over the top of the cocoa.
9Empty the rest of your egg mixture over that and dust with cocoa again.
10Leave it in your refrigerator for two hours to set and serve.Advertisement
- Buy fresh eggs. The tiramisu will last longer.
- If you can get your hands on any, use Camp Coffee mixed with a little water, in place of espresso. It's quick and easy and doesn't need to be heated. Stir in a spirit, such as Amaretto or Marsala - you can use as much as you like.
Things You'll NeedEdit
- 3 mixing bowls
- Electric whisk
- Any deep dish
- A refrigerator
Upload a picture for other readers to see.