You know that feeling! Your body is feeling weak and flat, your head is cracking open and the poisonous green liquor clouds in the bedroom are poisoning all the house plants! Yes, you drank too much last night and now a nasty hangover has descended upon you. While the commonplace remedy is to down a few painkillers in the hope of a miracle, the hangover bashing salad is likely to do you much more good in a matter of a few hours, as it restores your lost nutrients without overburdening your digestive system. Let nature do the healing you're very much in need of.
1Understand the biology of a hangover. When your body breaks down alcohol, it has to use plenty of vitamins and other nutrients that your body would normally be using to run its usual functions smoothly. So after tying one on, you're depleted of vital nutrients, which all need to be replenished as quickly as possible. So, instead of popping a chemical nerve freezer, it's much wiser to revitalize yourself with yummy fresh salad to help speed up your recovery.
2Keep it light. In order to save your stomach, you will need to avoid heavy foods of the following sort: potatoes, fries, pasta, greasy salad dressings, meats and other foods that are heavy on the digestion. Heavy starchy or heavy protein foods are going to be tough on your weakened stomach and anything greasy will probably be super nauseating. Instead, arm yourself with: veggies, rice, eggs and nuts.
- If you have some vague notion that fried foods and alcohol are a good match, then remember this for future reference: Fried food can possibly work before drinking to help slow the absorption of alcohol into your bloodstream by sticking to your stomach's lining.
3Hunt out the healthy ingredients in your fridge and pantry. When making a hangover bashing salad, find the following in your fridge or from the pantry:
- Tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, green olives, carrots, bell peppers (capsicum), onions, etc.
- Bananas, kiwi fruit - these are great because they replace lost electrolytes, potassium and magnesium 
- Fish (canned, smoked or fresh) - sardines will replenish lost sodium, chloride, potassium, magnesium and calcium, as well as contributing liver protecting Omega 3 fatty acids
- Fresh non-roasted unsalted nuts
- Eggs - which contain cysteine, that can help break down the hangover causing toxin acetaldehyde in the liver
- Cheese (choose a very natural one like Gouda, Emmental, or Mozzarella
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO).
4Break out the these ingredients and cut them to your taste! There's no right and wrong here. Mix up a good bowl of salad made from these ingredients. Use only raw vegetables, unsalted and unroasted peanuts and serve with cooked eggs (boiled or poached is ideal). As much as possible, concentrate on using ingredients that contain moisture. Your body needs water more than ever at this critical moment. Don't deprive yourself of liquid!
- Never use spices and/or salt. The reason for this is simple––you don't want to put too much strain on your stomach after a heavy night of drinking. That's why you need to use easily digestible foods. This is the fastest way to replenish the lost vitamins!
5Eat small portions only. Never munch down the whole bowl of salad at once. Your stomach may get angry at you for this kind of abuse and it will most definitely reward you with some heavy metal vomiting. Avoid this by eating small doses of salad in hourly intervals until you feel better. When you're confident that your stomach feels better, then you'll be able to eat heavier food like meats, bread, potatoes, etc., but for now keep the meals fresh, light and short.
6Stay hydrated. Never forget to drink plenty of water after a hangover. This will help your body to clean out all the junk you put into yourself the day before. Have water as often as you can stomach it but again, initially this may mean only small amounts frequently because a large amount may simply come up again.
- Have fruit juice. The fruit sugar replenishes your energy quickly after a hangover.
7If the salad just doesn't do it for you and you still feel like hell, there's always a way to speed up the recovery. You can use a blitzkrieg combination of veggie soup and salad. This will boost up your vitamins and rehydrate you to a decent level. You could use leeks, onions, carrots, asparagus, chicory and broccoli and mix them all together. Many of these are vitamin bombs, but only in combination of a soup. Eating them this way makes them actually quite yummy. Remember, just salad and soup with small doses and you'll be fine before you know it.
8Get enough sleep and be patient. In between this rabbit munching, do some sloth snoozing. Alcohol causes us to sleep fitfully and you'll be needing more sleep to help restore the energy that has been depleted by the booze. Sleep some, eat your hangover bashing salad and blitzkrieg soup and you'll recover in a record time.Advertisement
You're helping people by reading wikiHow
wikiHow's mission is to help people learn, and we really hope this article helped you. Now you are helping others, just by visiting wikiHow.
World Possible is a nonprofit organization focused on connecting offline learners to the world's knowledge. They work to ensure that anyone can access the best educational resources from the web anytime, anywhere, even if they do not have an internet connection.
Click below to let us know you read this article, and wikiHow will donate to World Possible on your behalf. Thanks for helping us achieve our mission of helping people learn how to do anything.
- Know your limits. After you have recovered, it's time to take an oath never to drink too much again! If you happen to value yourself and your body, you'll realize that your “machine” will have to run for a few good years before your candle gets snuffed out, so take care of yourself better. It is by far better to make sure you don't have a need to use the strategy outlined in this article.
- Take care of yourself and include some healthy food and exercise in your daily life.
- Ginger can relieve nausea. If you can't stomach eating any, try it as a tea.
- Avoid using "a hair of the dog that bit you" (drinking a little more next morning to overcome the hangover). All this does is prolong the inevitable crashing down into hangover land.
- Don't try to be cool by chugging a gallon of beer in a few seconds. A liver transplant is an expensive joke.
Things You'll NeedEdit
- Light salad and veggie ingredients, some fruit
- Soup making items
Upload a picture for other readers to see.