Have you found that store-bought facial cleansing products don't match with your skin? Try making your own natural face cleanser. They're easy to make, and are great for your skin!
Method One of Four:
Using Honey to Clean Your FaceEdit
1Consider using honey to clean your face. Honey is a natural exfoliant, so it helps get rid of dead skin cells without the harsh, abrasiveness of salt and sugar scrubs. It also makes a great moisturizer, and leaves your face feeling soft and smooth. Lastly, honey is also a natural antiseptic. This means that it not only helps remove toxins from your skin, but it also helps kill any acne-causing bacteria.
- Honey is suitable for all skin types.
- Honey is not suitable for removing make up. You may want to consider using oil to clean your face instead. To learn how to make an oil-based cleanser, refer to the section in this article on using oil to clean your face.
2Protect your hair and clothes. Because honey can get very drippy, sticky, and messy, it would be best to drape a towel over the front of your chest and pull your hair back into a ponytail. If you have short hair, you can simply clip it back using bobby pins or wear a shower cap.
3Dampen your face with water. Lean over the skin and splash warm water onto your skin. This will help dissolve the honey, making it easier to spread across your face.
4Pour some honey onto your palm. You will need about ½ teaspoon of raw honey. Gently swirl your finger around in the honey to soften and warm it. If the honey is too thick, you can add a few drops of warm water to dissolve it and make it easier to manage.
5Massage the honey into your skin. Spread the honey between your fingers, and then gently rub it into your skin using circular motions. Be sure to avoid the sensitive areas around the eyes.
6Wash the honey off using warm water. Splash some warm water onto your face, and gently massage your skin with your fingers until you get all of the honey off.
- If you have blackheads and want some deep-pore cleansing, then leave the honey on for five to ten minutes before rinsing it off.
7Dry your face. Use a soft, clean towel, and gently pat your face dry. Do not rub your face with the towel, or you will risk irritating your skin.
8Consider following up with some moisturizer and toner. The moisturizer will help lock in the moisture, and the toner will help rebalance the natural pH of your skin as well as tighten the pores.Advertisement
Method Two of Four:
Using Oil to Cleanse Your FaceEdit
1Find a small bowl or bottle. You will be mixing two different types of oils, so you will need something to hold them.
2Pour in the castor oil. How much castor oil will depend on your skin type. Here is how much castor oil you will need to use, based on your skin type:
- If you have oily skin, use 2 teaspoons of castor oil.
- If you have normal skin, you will need 1 ½ teaspoon of castor oil.
- If you have dry or aging skin, use 1 teaspoon of castor oil.
3Choose your carrier oil and pour it in. Castor oil on its own is very drying, even for oily skin, and will need to be diluted with a carrier oil. Here is a list of oils you can use, based on skin type:
- If you have oily skin, add 1 teaspoon of any of the following oils: Argan, grapeseed, jojoba, sunflower seed, sweet almond, and tamanu.
- If you have normal skin, add 1 ½ teaspoons of any of the following oils: Argan, apricot kernel, grapeseed, jojoba, sunflower seed, sweet almond, and tamanu.
- If you have dry or aging skin, add 2 teaspoons of any of the following oils: Argan, apricot kernel, avocado, grapeseed, jojoba, sunflower seed, sweet almond, and tamanu.
4Use your oil cleanser to clean your face. The best time to use this cleanser is just before bedtime. Simply massage the cleanser into your skin, then cover your face with a soft towel soaked in hot water. Wait one minute, then take the towel off. Wipe your face with the towel. Rinse the towel and place it over your face for another minute. Keep doing this until most of the oil is gone.
- You may get a few breakouts and pimples after using this cleanser; this is only a reaction to a new treatment that will eventually going away.
5Use your oil cleanser to remove makeup. To clean off makeup, simply put a few drops of the oil onto a cotton ball or cotton round. Then, wipe your face with it. Rinse your face using warm water, then follow up with moisturizer and toner.Advertisement
Method Three of Four:
Making an Oatmeal-Based Facial CleanserEdit
1Gather your ingredients. In this facial cleaner, you will be using oatmeal and almond meal, to cleanse your face. Almond meal will help exfoliate away dead skin cells while the oatmeal will act as a natural cleanser. Here is what you will need to make this cleanser:
- ½ cups (40 grams) finely-ground oats
- ½ cups (60 grams) finely-ground almond meal
- Liquid of choice (ie: water, milk, lemon juice, witch hazel, etc).
2Find a suitable container. You won't be using all of the ground oats and almonds at once; instead, you will be mixing only a small amount with some liquid whenever you go to wash your face. For this reason, you will need a container, such as a jar, to store your ground oats and almonds.
- Consider decorating the jar by adding a label or tying some twine around the neck.
3Combine the oats and almond meal. Measure out ½ cup (40 grams) of ground oats and ½ cup (60 grams) of almond meal, and pour both into a jar. Close the jar tightly and shake it to combine the two ingredients.
- If you cannot find any ground almonds or oats, you can make your own by grinding them using a blender, coffee grinder, or food processor. Be sure to grind each ingredient separately.
4Consider adding some exfoliators and essential oils. These ingredients are not vital, but they can make your cleanser feel more luxurious and exfoliating. Herbs and essential oils will also give the cleanser a nice fragrance. Here are some suggestions of what you can add, based on skin type:
- If you have oily skin, add: 2 tablespoons of fine sea salt, 2 tablespoons of finely-ground dried peppermint, and 5 drops rosemary essential oil (optional).
- If you have dry skin, add 2 tablespoons of powdered milk, 2 tablespoons of finely-ground dried calendula, and 5 drops Roman chamomile essential oil (optional).
- If you have combination skin, add 2 tablespoons cornmeal, 2 tablespoons finely-ground dried chamomile, and 5 drops lavender essential oil (optional).
5Choose your liquid. In order to use this facial cleanser, you will need to add some liquid to it. Here are some suggestions of what you can use for the liquid based on skin type:
- If you have oily skin, use lemon juice, rose water, plain water, or witch hazel.
- If you have normal skin, use glycerin, honey, rose water, peppermint tea, or plain water.
- If you have dry skin, use milk, cream or yogurt.
6Use your facial cleanser. Dampen your face with warm water. Measure out two teaspoons of your facial cleanser and add just enough of your liquid to turn it into a paste. You can mix the paste in the palm of your hand using your fingers, or you can mix it in a small bowl using a spoon.
7Massage the cleanser into you face. Use gentle, circular motions, and be sure to avoid the sensitive areas around your eyes. The circular motion will help the ground almond exfoliate your skin.
8Rinse your face using cool water. Gently massage your face to get rid of any excess cleanser. The cool water will help close an tighten your pores.
9Dry your face. Using a soft, clean towel, gently pat your face dry. Do not rub your skin, or you will risk agitating it.
10Consider following up with some moisturizer and toner. The moisturizer will help replenish your skin, and the toner will help tighten your pores as well as restore the pH balance.
11Store your cleanser. You have made enough cleanser to last you several washes. Be sure to keep the lid on it when you are not using it. Store it in a cool, dry location.Advertisement
Method Four of Four:
Making Other Types of Face CleansersEdit
1Make an apple-based cleanser for dry skin. Put all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and combine until smooth. Spread this onto a damp face and leave it on for five minutes before washing it off using lukewarm water. Here is what you will need to make this facial cleanser:
- 2 apple slices, peeled
- ½ cup (125 grams) plain yogurt
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon honey
2Make a honey-lemon cleanser for oily skin. Put all of the ingredients into a bowl and stir them together with a fork or spoon. Massage the mixture onto a damp face and leave it on for 30 seconds before washing it off using lukewarm water. Here is what you will need to make this cleanser:
- ½ cup (50 grams) rolled oats
- ¼ cup (60 milliliters) fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup (60 milliliters) water
- ½ tablespoon honey
3Make a cucumber-based cleanser for normal skin. Put all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until everything is smooth. Spread the mixture onto a damp face and leave it on for five minutes before washing it off using lukewarm water. Here is what you will need to make this cleanser:
- ½ cup (125 grams) plain yogurt
- ½ medium cucumber, diced
- 5 medium mint leaves, chopped
4Use plain yogurt to clean your face. You can use yogurt on its own to cleanse your face, or you could mix 1 tablespoon of yogurt and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. The lemon juice will not only give the yogurt a pleasant scent, but it will also act as an astringent; lemon juice is especially beneficial for drying skin. Simply spread the yogurt onto a damp face, taking care to avoid the areas around the eyes, and rinse off using warm water.
- You can also add 1-2 drops of essential of essential oil to give the yogurt a nicer smell. Consider oils such as vanilla or lavender.
- If you choose to use lemon, stay out of the sun; lemon juice makes your skin more sensitive to sunlight.
- Keep in mind that yogurt may lighten your skin. If you are proud of your tan, you may want to keep this in mind.
5Make a restoring, papaya-based cleanser. Mix everything in a food processor until you get a smooth consistency. Spread the mixture onto a damp face, and rinse it off using lukewarm water. Here is what you will need to make this cleanser:
- 1 large aloe vera leaf, peeled
- 1 small papaya slice, peeled
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon plain yogurt.
6Making a stimulating facial cleanser. Put all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Spread the mixture onto a damp face, and rinse off using lukewarm water. You can freeze any leftovers for up to one month. Here is what you will need to make this cleanser:
- 1 ripe tomato
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange, lemon, or line juice
You're helping people by reading wikiHow
wikiHow's mission is to help people learn, and we really hope this article helped you. Now you are helping others, just by visiting wikiHow.
World Possible is a nonprofit organization focused on connecting offline learners to the world's knowledge. They work to ensure that anyone can access the best educational resources from the web anytime, anywhere, even if they do not have an internet connection.
Click below to let us know you read this article, and wikiHow will donate to World Possible on your behalf. Thanks for helping us achieve our mission of helping people learn how to do anything.
How do I make a turmeric powder and lemon juice face mask to lighten my skin?Answered by wikiHow Contributor
- Take a tablespoon of turmeric and enough lemon juice to make a paste. Apply it to your (clean) face, leave it on for 20-35 minutes, and then wash it off with warm water and a splash of cool water.
How do I treat my oily skin as a teen?Answered by wikiHow Contributor
- Purchase products that are for oily skin. It will usually say on the packaging what type of skin they are for. Try different products and find something that works. You might need to use more than one thing. There are many different cleansers, scrubs, masks, creams and gels out there.
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
About This Article
Reader Success Stories
EA"It's really not at all expensive & most of the ingredients are present in the kitchen. I have tried it and it has no side effects and gives a long lasting glow. "..." more
"I have terrible acne (PMS) and simply nothing helps. I like the idea of natural way to cure it. "
SJ"Great result after using honey as a scrubber for face."
SV"The honey method is very good for dry skin."