Making someone breakfast in bed is a nice gesture. While the standard breakfast-in-bed fare is pretty straightforward–you make breakfast and put it on a tray or table so that the person can put it on their lap–it's more fun to go to additional effort when preparing it. Here are some tips for making breakfast in bed extra special.
1Get a tray that has small sides on it. This will contain the food securely, and keep any spillage from falling onto the bed. There are specially made small tables intended for this very purpose. If you can't find one, use a laptop desk.
2Decide what you'll make for breakfast. Here are some ideas:
- Make a Tropical Breakfast. This is both healthy and refreshing.
- Make One Egg Waffles. These are a little healthier than most waffles, but if you really want to spoil someone, make French toast waffles.
- Serve a Bagel Breakfast. Be sure to include a variety of delicious condiments as well as a choice of bagels.
- Make a Traditional Full English Breakfast. An English muffin with some eggs, and orange juice, coffee, or tea on the side is good.
3Prepare the breakfast as quietly as possible, if there's a chance you might wake the person up. If you can chop or mix any ingredients the night before, do so. If you're making coffee, put a towel along the crack at the bottom of the bedroom door so that they don't smell it. (This is assuming that you want the breakfast in bed to be a surprise.)
- Be sure to clean up after yourself, too. If the person you're treating comes into the kitchen to find a pigsty, that might kill their delight over what you just did for them.
- See also the articles on How to Make a Good Pot of Coffee and Make Tea. Don't forget to supply cream and sugar, if the person being treated likes it in their hot drink.
4Pour any liquids only 3/4 of the way. This is especially important with hot liquids, as you don't want them to spill onto the person or the bed linen when the tray is moved.
5Add some nice touches:
- Lay a single flower down on the tray, or sprinkle flower petals across the tray.
- On the plates, around the food, add some edible flowers (perhaps some candied violets).
- If using a cloth napkin, fold it into a pyramid shape.
- You can also fold a paper napkin into a rose (not the one they will be using, just an extra one for decoration).
- Make a card with a nice note written in it.
6When you bring the breakfast, put it aside while you prepare the area. Use a stand such as a coffee table, or a folding table already assembled. Puff up the pillows, and add extras, so as to make sitting up more comfortable. Straighten the bed covering, so that you can place down the tray's legs (if any). If the tray is flat, add some books or something strong under the tray for support.
7Turn on the television, play music, or give the person something to read while they eat. Or, of course, feel free to stick around and talk with them!
8When they're done, clean up. Take the tray from them and clean the dishes. Another excellent touch is to run a luxury bath and while they're enjoying it, make the bed!Advertisement
What if I am not good at cooking?Answered by wikiHow Contributor
- Try your best. Look up recipes. There are plenty of easy breakfast recipes. You can also practice cooking ahead of time. Remember, it's the thought that counts, so you shouldn't cook something you don't know how to cook. If worse comes to worst, you can always make a bowl of cereal!
- Choose a time when your special recipient won't be rushed to finish their breakfast. A weekend is often a good time, or a special holiday.
- Set the food on a large, easy-to-carry tray so you don't have to make multiple trips while delivering the food.
- Be extremely careful when bringing the tray. You could fall and spill food everywhere.
- Cover the food while you wait for the person to get up.
- Surprise them! You never know when they need it most!
- If it is a special occasion like a birthday, it is always nice to make a banner to tie at the end of the bed.
Things You'll NeedEdit
- Suitable tray or stand
- Vase and a flower
- Best dinnerware and cutlery
- Cloth for lining tray
- Artistic decorations
Upload a picture for other readers to see.