In order to place an international call to Scotland, you'll need to enter: your country's international dialing exit code, then 44 (the country code for Scotland,) and then the area code code for the part of Scotland that you are trying to call. You should also ignore any leading zero in the area code, e.g. Edinburgh's 0131 code would become [your country's international dialling exit code +] 44 131. Aberdeen's 01224 would become +44 1224.
Make sure to account for any time difference!
Method One of Two:
Learning the CodesEdit
1Dial the appropriate exit code. If you are calling Scotland from any country other than Scotland, then you will need to enter a nation-specific "exit code" before you dial the Scottish number. The two most common exit codes are 00 and 011. Run a web search for "[your country] exit code" to find the proper digits. The exit code is also known as the international access code or IDD (International Direct Dialing) code. You will need it to dial out of your country, regardless of which other country you are calling.
- 011 is the exit code for the United States, Canada, and some Caribbean island countries: e.g. the Bahamas, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. 00 is the exit code for most nations in Africa, Asia, Europe, and South America. 0011 is the exit code for Australia.
- Some countries have unique exit codes. The Russian Federation, for instance, is 8 (pause) 10. The exit code for calling from Brazil depends upon which telecom company you are using.
2Dial 44 after the exit code. This is the country code for the United Kingdom. Scotland is a part of the United Kingdom, which also includes England, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Thus, you can use the same country code to call any of these countries.
3Dial the relevant area code or city code. Find the local code for the city or region that you are trying to call. Most codes comprise 2-5 digits. Learn the codes for major cities:
- 1224 for Aberdeen
- 1382 for Dundee
- 131 for Edinburgh
- 141 for Glasgow
4Dial the local telephone number. This may range from 5 to 7 digits. The local area code combined with the telephone number usually totals 10 digits, although numbers from some areas may total up to 9 digits. If you don't know the person's telephone number, try looking them up on the British Telecom Directory.
5Add all of the codes together. Your string of digits should include, in this order: the exit code for the country you're calling from, 44, the local area code, and the local telephone number. The total string may range from 12 to 17 digits, depending on where you are calling from and where you are calling to.
- To call Glasgow, Scotland from the US: 011 – 44 – 141 – xxx – xxxx.
- To call Langholm, Scotland from the US: 011 – 44 – 13873 – xxxxx.
Method Two of Two:
Knowing When to CallEdit
1Account for time difference. Scotland observes GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) between the last weekend in October and the last weekend in March, and changes to British Summer Time (one hour ahead of GMT) from March to October. Look up the current time in GMT or BST. Then, compare this time to the time in your location to figure out the time difference. Do not call someone in Scotland in the middle of the night unless they have explicitly asked you to do so.
- Shops in Scotland are usually open from 9am-5pm Monday through Saturday. Businesses in villages and rural areas usually keep more limited, traditional hours than businesses in major towns and cities.
- If the time is 8pm in Los Angeles, 11pm in New York, 5am in Paris, and noon in Shanghai: it is 4am in Scotland. Check the time difference before you call!
2Call at off-hours for cheaper fees. Calls made to Scotland between 6pm and 8am GMT (local time) may be charged at a lower rate than calls made during peak hours. That said: let the preference of the person whom you are calling dictate the time of the call.Advertisement
How do I dial a Scottish mobile number from Canada?Answered by wikiHow Contributor
- Exactly the same as you would call a Scottish landline. Exit code, country code, drop the 0, rest of the number. Mobile number should be eleven digits long with the first two always starting with an 07. So from Canada it should be: 011 44 7 and then the final nine digits of the mobile number.
What is the telephone code for Coatbridge?Answered by wikiHow Contributor
- To dial 01236 from abroad, dial the international access code, followed by the country code for the UK (44). Proceed to enter local code 01236 without the first zero (e.g. 1236), followed by the remaining telephone number.
What is code for Johnstone, Scotland?Answered by wikiHow Contributor
- The code for Johnstone is 01505. To dial 01505 from abroad, dial the international access code, followed by the country code for the UK (44). Proceed to enter local code 01505 without the first zero (e.g. 1505), followed by the remaining telephone number.
How do I call Glasgow, Scotland using a cell phone with international roaming?Answered by wikiHow Contributor
- Simply ring the number (which I assume is a UK phone number), no extra steps are required. Of course, depending on what country you're in, it may cost you money to make the call.
How do I make a phone call from London to Glasgow?
If I am traveling in Scotland with a US cell phone with international roaming, do I need to dial any country code, or would I just need to enter the area code and number?
What is the area code for Peterhead, Scotland?
What is the code for Whitehill outside of Hamilton, Scotland?
How do I find the code for a specific area of Scotland?
- All Scottish/UK telephone numbers begin with 0. Drop this leading zero for international calls. For example: 0141 123 4567 becomes 011 44 141 123 4567.
- To call Scotland from another country within the United Kingdom, you can dial the exit code (00) and the country code. However, it is simpler just to dial 0 before the area code and the local telephone number.
- Contact an international operator for help. If you are having trouble placing a call and are calling from the US, dial 00 to connect with an international operator for assistance. Other numbers apply from different countries.
- It is often expensive to make an international calls. Consider using a pre-paid international calling card. Try using a VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) audio or video call service like Skype or Vonage.